Tuesday, May 12, 2020

What is an Orff teacher?

What is an Orff Teacher?


 
Me being passionate about something Orff-y

It always sounds so weird.  Orff.


Orff is a participatory art. 



Orff teachers engage people around them and involve them in whole body, whole heart, whole self music using instruments, voice, movement and dance.  


Orff teachers are interested in the process of creation with children.






Music and movement are inseparable.






When I was in university studying to become a classroom teacher I took music education courses and read about Orff. It sounded simplistic.  There was no life in the readings.  


I never experienced the MAGIC of Orff as an undergrad.






The energy, creativity and transformative effect of this approach to teaching music was just not conveyed adequately in ANY book or article I read.  

None of the professors I studied under used the approach and none of them had the unique qualities I experienced when attending Orff workshops and courses after I graduated.




I was never exposed to this way of learning or teaching until after I completed all my teaching practica and had already received my Bachelor of Education degree.




I can only imagine how my entire experience of university might have been changed had I been in the presence of a real Orff teacher, Orff instruments and Orff techniques and creative approach to teaching.



Better late than never, right?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...