Sunday, July 10, 2011

My Salzburg Studies Have Begun!

Entrance to the Orff Institute

One of my friends recently emailed me to ask if I was in Salzburg to gallivant or to study!

I have been gallivanting.  It was so much fun to not have responsibility for a few days..and to sample the sausages and beer!
 

I was at the Orff Symposium from July 7-10, held mostly at the Mozarteum for 4 days.  There were 500 people there from all over the world.  We were celebrating the 50th year since the founding of the Orff Institute.  

Taking photos was verboten...so I don't have much to share with you from the symposium.  It was pretty good as far as symposiums go (some lectures and active learning, performances by professional troupes, musicians and also students) but not nearly as much fun as this next bit is going to be...

I'm travelling in the right direction...Orff Institute straight ahead!

Today I start my studies at the Orff Institute in the Summer Course.   It's formally called "The International Summer Course" focussing on Elemental Music and Dance Pedagogy in Orff-Schulwerk.

This year it is offered in English!

Last night was opening night for the course and there are over 100 people registered...a record as apparently it's usually about 20-30 people.  We are from countries all over the world. Iran, Kuwait, Ireland, Austria, Germany, Greece, Italy, Spain, Portugal, US, New Zealand, China, Taiwan, Korea, Slovenia, Switzerland, Brazil, Argentina, Australia and more.  

I am the only person from Canada but I know I'm in the right place. 

Our days are very long.  We start at 9 am and finish at 9 pm.  This morning I have dance then singing, after lunch it will be dance then percussion, after dinner more folk dance.  Tomorrow I have more percussion and ensemble work, dance and more singing.  Everyday is a bit different but I'm with my "tribe"  so to speak.


We're all a bunch of multi-instrumental-dancing-singing-percussion playing teachers who love to work with children and make music with people. 

So, the next 6 days are booked...no more sightseeing or church-watching for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...