Sunday, June 20, 2010

Daddy says...."I don't get it!"

Confessions from the dad...
"I can honestly say that I didn't get it,"  the father says to the mother, "I didn't understand why you kept taking our son to those music classes with Susan.  I didn't say anything and I went along with it but I was wondering what on earth a child that small can really be learning?"  

(This child started with me when he was 6 months old.  I finally pushed them out of the musicalia-nest last year...after 12 years.)

The father continues...

"Now I see that it was building a foundation.  
He has such a well-trained ear for music and rhythm.  He loves listening to music and he has confidence.  I can see now that it was all those classes when he was so small that built that foundation."


So, 13 years later, the son is playing in a rock band.  He listens to music and learns it quickly.  He has confidence to try out his ideas.  He loves music and is a capable, engaging and entertaining musician even at his young age. 

After this most recent recital the father came over and gave me a hug, thanking me for instilling a love of music in their son.  

It was one of those rare "dad" moments when the dad looks at you so sincerely, eyeball-to-eyeball and just says "thank you" in such a way that a teacher can really feel it.

I loved that moment.  

Happy Father's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...